Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Math Reading List

Slashdot (News for Nerds. Stuff that Matters) has a recent post from someone asking for recommendations about books about mathematical topics (not math textbooks, mind you, but books about math. I'd add to the list Mario Livio's excellent Is God a Mathemetician ? to the list. Read the comments section of the post for a ton of great math recommendations.

Here's the initial post:

"I'm a high school math teacher who is trying to assemble an extra-credit reading list. I want to give my students (ages 16-18) the opportunity/motivation to learn about stimulating mathematical ideas that fall outside of the curriculum I'm bound to teach. I already do this somewhat with special lessons given throughout the year, but I would like my students to explore a particular concept in depth. I am looking for books that are well-written, engaging, and accessible to someone who doesn't have a lot of college-level mathematical training. I already have a handful of books on my list, but I want my students to be able to choose from a variety of topics. Many thanks for all suggestions!"

No comments: